Sunday, October 24, 2010

Grape Fan

So recently I've been updating our bedroom.  Mostly out of necessity because I had to fit my new (kick-your-butt) elliptical machine in there.  We got some new armoires which I stained a nice dark brown/black and added new hardware.  I built a new bed and constructed an upholstered head board.  It was all starting to come together. There was just one last serious eyesore left in the room.  I call him "Grape Fan".  For months I have been debating what to do about Grape Fan.  He's perfectly functional and we do like having a fan in our room.  But I just couldn't go one more night of staring up at this:




Complete with grape vine motif, fake plastic "wood" blades, hunter green accents and flower light covers.  Not to mention years of collected dust bunnies.   Awesome, right?  So I looked into new fans.  Now, some ceiling fans are actually quite afforable.  But I didn't want to replace Grape Fan with an equally ugly version, if it if was sans grapes.  I wanted a nice modern looking fan to match my decor at a reasonable (read: very low) price.  Is that too much to ask, Home Depot?  Needless to say, what I wanted doesn't really exist in my price range.  Also, the thought of rewiring a ceiling fan (even though we have done several light fixtures in the past) was looming over me.  And the I remembered - I am a crafty girl.  If there ever was anyone who would want to tackle the refurbishing of Grape Fan...  

So.  I got out my screwdriver and disassembled him.  Two cans of spray paint, a wire screen, some black fabric and three new glass shades later and VOILA!




Grape Fan no more.  Doesn't he look like a whole new fan?




1 comment:

  1. That's awesome! Also? I have that same grape fan in my kitchen. I thought I was going to have to wait for it to die before I could get a more modern looking fan. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete