Saturday, January 22, 2011

Buh-Bye Ugly Bulbs

A few years ago I decided that we needed more light in our kitchen/dining area over the table.  But I didn't want to have to pay an electrician to hardwire a new light fixture.  So I bought a vanity fixture and rewired it myself to plug into an outlet.  (Don't worry, it works fine. I asked for lots of advice before I spliced anything.)  Then along came those CFL lightbulbs.  Now, don't get me wrong....  I'm all for using them and saving energy, but they are U-G-L-Y (they ain't got no alibi...).  Just look at how they were hanging out of my light fixture:  (yeah, I know - also quite crooked)


Not to mention that it has always kind of looked like it belongs in a bathroom (hmmmm, wonder why...).  So I decided that it was high time that I fixed this look.  After bringing home (and then subsequently bringing back) several new glass shade things, I had an epiphany in the lighting department of Lowes.  Pendant shades!  They are longer than the ones meant for these fixtures and therefore cover up the ugly bulbs!  Woot-woot!


I tried to take a picture with the lights on, but it really wasn't coming out so great.  Too bad, because they look prettier with the light shining through the silver.  But don't they look better?  And less like a bathroom?

Next in line to go:  ugly tan valence.  Stay tuned...

1 comment: