Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Who doesn't love a good fort?

Several weeks before Christmas, I found myself in a super-cool toy store looking for ideas.  And then I saw the mother of all ideas.  They were selling a fort kit!  A FORT-KIT!  Having two boys means that there have been  perpetual forts being built around my house (and my mother's) for years.  The store version of the fort kit was something in the line of $45.  For a fort??!?  So I did what any good crafty girl would do.  I copied it. For MUCH less than upwards of forty bucks.

Twin sheets with ties sewed all down the sides and middle.  Some rope in case you need to hang the center and create a teepee effect.  And some super-awesome clamps for, well...., clamping stuff.  Which, by the way, have proven to be the most fun part of the whole thing.  Sewed some initials on each one for clarity.  Packed it all into some handcrafted tote bags and voila!  HOURS of entertainment for little (and big?) boys and girls.  (Made one for my niece too.  Although she might be slightly too young, as seen by the rope = lasso incident.)






My mother thinks that I should sell these puppies.  Any takers??  :)

6 comments:

  1. what a cool idea! great for a parent who isn't as creative as you at finding all the necessary stuff for fort building. those clamps are a must! we usually use refridgerator magnetic clips or chip clips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found the black clamps in a huge pack at Lowes and I split them up between the three bags. Then I found the white clamps at the dollar store! Clamps are a definite must. They open way wider than chip clips! Also, my kids think that they are so cool saying "I need a clamp over here".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to see one of these babies in action. Very cool idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS. I love the glow bracelets.. very nice touch.

    PPS. Liam still sleeps with the pillow you made out of the fabric you used under Shane's 'S'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK.. just one more comment...You should have an ETSY shop if you don't already. You are a walking goldmine :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have made ALOT of stuff out of that spider fabric. Apparently I must have WAY overestimated for whatever project I originally bought it for! :) Will post fort-in-action photos soon. I forgot to bust out the camera the last time they made one.

    ReplyDelete